Thursday, August 16, 2012

Introversion discovered

If there's one thing about my personality that I've realized since I've been here in Ukraine it is that I have become an introvert.  

The perfect example was this past Sunday when I went with a large group of mostly Russian speakers to the river after church.  For the most part they are just like my friends in the states, they have fun in the same way and interact in a similar way with each other.  However, the biggest difference here is just the language.  There's quite a few English speakers in the church but the group I ended up hanging out with after church turned out to be mostly Russian speaking that day.

What I've realized is this: It's hard for me to initiate conversation with anyone who doesn't speak English.  I just don't know what to say sometimes!  It's so strange, because in the states I would consider myself an extrovert by nature!  I love being with people, and I really don't like to be alone most of the time, but for some reason, the Russian company here just doesn't stimulate my extroversion.

Another example (that actually is pretty typical of me here): Last night after Home group, I traveled back with Oles and our friend, who only speaks Russian.  He was using Oles as a translator, and he was initiating all the conversation.  After about 10 minutes Oles said to me "He's trying to talk with you, maybe you could ask him something too?"  I was a little surprised, thinking "Oh, man, what am I supposed to say?"  I thought for a minute and came up with a question for him, which kept the conversation rolling.  I'm glad Oles prompted me to ask some questions in response, because I might not have thought to do it on my own, and our conversation might not have been as fruitful as it was!

I think this introversion may just be a part of the transitional period as I get used to being surrounded by a foreign language.  I certainly hope so, because once we start the English clubs for non-believers, I'll be in charge of starting conversation and leading the students in a conversational topic to learn English!

On Monday I met with a missionary family who has lived here in Ukraine for 7 years (they are from Texas).  They said, if I am an introvert, that's a good thing, because they tend to become less frustrated and do better in the long-term with the language barrier.  That's based on their experience and what they have seen in other people here from the states.

But aside from my introversion, I'm not worried about it, and I'm not worried about anything to be more specific!  God has been very faithful throughout time providing for His children's needs, and I know He'll provide me just what I need in ministry here too!  I believe and hope in His future grace in my life and that's all I really need!

Philippians 4:19 "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

I will start teaching English soon, so stay tuned!! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment