Monday, September 3, 2012

Practicing patience

Part of my ministry here in Ukraine is teaching English to the church staff.  When the pastors proposed this idea to me about 8 months ago it sounded great!  I would be helping the church a lot by this service and it would help them to serve in many of the church's ministries!

Well, little did I know exactly how difficult it would be to meet one-on-one with a non-English speaking person to talk about English grammar!

For instance: My student the other day told me (through google translate :) that she can't pronounce the "th" sound in English.  I thought to myself, well...I certainly can't tell you how to pronounce it!  It's just one of those things that's natural to me, but not to her.  I found this cartoon on the internet that looked a little like what we were trying to accomplish (but no teeth falling out lol) :)

The most difficult thing for me is when they just don't get it, and no matter how many times I try to explain or translate, it just doesn't work.  I feel like I have failed them sometimes, and this was especially hard to cope with the other day.  I felt like, because of our language barrier, we couldn't be as productive in learning English.  That certainly is true, but I don't think I was giving God enough credit for the power that He holds over this situation. And, it was sinful for me to become discouraged over that situation.  I am remembering now more than ever that:   "“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." 2 Cor 12:19

Please pray for the English ministry here in Ukraine.  So far the lessons with the staff are going fine, but it's challenging for sure, and takes a lot of patience and encouragement from God.  We're likely going back to the orphanage this weekend to visit the kids again, but please pray for this also so that we may continue spreading Christ's love to them!



No comments:

Post a Comment