Thursday, December 20, 2012

You will not abandon my soul!



Last night on our way back home from a pretty spiritually heavy homegroup, I needed some encouragement, something to tell me that God is still working in my heart to help me to defeat sin in my life. 
To quickly summarize our homegroup: We had studied Romans 7 – especially focusing on the spiritual battle that Paul is describing in verses 7-25.
Verse 19 “For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.”  As Christians, we know what is right, and what is wrong, but still every day we sin and do what is wrong in God’s view.  Even if we try to do what’s right we can’t!  This can leave a Christian feeling hopeless over the sinful condition of the heart.
But Paul says later in the chapter, verse 24 and 25 “ What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?  Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!..”  he is honest and recognizes his sinful state and thanks God that he is delivered from this through Jesus Christ.

So, after the group, I felt pretty weighed down by all my sins, and by my daily battle with sin and there was very little joy in my heart.  So in the metro on the way home, I opened up my one year bible reading plan and found this psalm (I’ve added my comments in parentheses)

Psalm 16
1 Keep me safe, my God,
    for in you I take refuge. (God, please help me!  My sins are consuming me!)
2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
    apart from you I have no good thing.” (yes, it’s so true! In myself, until you saved me and entered into my heart, I was a walking pile of sin and death!)
3 I say of the holy people who are in the land,
    “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”
4 Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
    I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
    or take up their names on my lips. (Lord, I recognize that true happiness comes from knowing you, and there is no other God like you)
5 Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; (nothing else can satisfy my needs like you do!)
    you make my lot secure.
6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance. (I am going to be with you in heaven forever, how amazing!!!!!)
7 I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me. (even when I’m unconscious you direct me to know your way, you teach me what is good, you give me wisdom!)
8 I keep my eyes always on the Lord. (I’m trying to fix my eyes on you Lord, please help me stay focused always!!!)
    With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. (Yes Lord!  You are the solid rock on which I will build my life!)
9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest secure, (Yes Lord! I will trade my current sorrows for your joy!  You have restored my confidence in you through your word and restored the joy in my heart!)
10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
    nor will you let your faithful one see decay. (This is so amazing!  Even though I’m such a big sinner, you have saved me and will not allow me to fall from your mighty hands!!  You are so amazing, thank you GOD!!!!)
11 You make known to me the path of life; (I don’t have to walk on the path to death, because you have shown me the way I can live eternally!!)
    you will fill me with joy in your presence, (My joy can last past this moment!  You will continue to work in my heart to bring me joy!)
    with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (You will even go so far as to give a sinner like me eternal pleasures?!!! WOW how amazing is your mercy and grace and love!!!!!!)



After reading my comments, you can understand how I am now feeling!  Thank the Lord that He has restored my joy and confidence in His power and love over me!  I will not give up in the fight against sin because I know that my Lord strengthens me with even battle!  May glory and honor and power be yours, oh Lord, forever and ever! Amen!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment