Thursday, July 5, 2012

Do you speak English?

"Вы говорите по-английски? " - probably on of the most common phrases I will use when in Ukraine, as I try to figure out among the church members and other natives who will understand me if I need to speak in English.

I started learning Russian, and some Ukrainian, when I went to Ukraine last year, but I only picked up about 40 phrases and words.  Then I started work with Virginia Tech for this last year and my Russian learning plummeted for several months, only to pick back up slowly in the spring.

My friends in Ukraine reassure me that I will be fine once I get there, and I will pick up a lot just living there for so long.  However, I really want to be able to engage with the people, and not just the ones that speak my language :) So far, I have about 80 phrases and words down, it doesn't seem like a lot, but one thing I've realized is: I don't need to know everything, just enough to get by and make conversation (at least in the beginning).  I'm hoping after 3+ months living in Kiev, I should have a good handle on Russian :)  I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!

 I'm really excited to be able to teach English when I'm there.  Within the first 3 weeks I'll be working at the orphanage and setting up for an English club to begin in August.

School and work start back up in September after most people take time off in August, so it will be good to have a once a week English club for people outside of the church.  I'm hoping and praying this will be a great source of outreach and that the English club will help introduce Christ to the students.

Well, back to my studying, I've got a lot to learn in the next 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment